Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ultimate Easy Vinaigrette

Like most food folks, I am all about the Food Network. When I turn on the TV, day or night, weekend or weekday, nine times out of ten, it’s on Food TV.

Even shows I’m initially not all that crazy about, like The Ultimate Recipe Showdown, eventually grow on me.

Then there are evergreens like Everyday Italian, Barefoot Contessa, Nigella Cooks, and finally, Tyler’s Ultimate. I don’t catch it all that often, but when I do, it’s always enjoyable. Every recipe of his I’ve tried turned out wonderfully.

This IS, well, the ultimate:

Honey Dijon Vinaigrette



1-2 shallots, finely minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons honey
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine ingredients, which I usually do in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake until mixed well.

This version is actually one where I doubled all the ingredients because I like to have it on hand.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I suspect the dressing would also make a nice glaze to brush on chicken, maybe even pork chops, before grilling.

I keep thinking I’ll mix it up a bit (Ha! Am ever clever with the puns.) by using sherry wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar and maybe I will, but at the same time, I almost hate to mess with a good thing.

No comments: