Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Salad

It’s not called The Salad because I think it’s the salad to end all salads (actually, I do kind of think that but that’s not why I call it that). It’s because we almost always have this salad with every meal. Calling it The Salad is shorthand. Generally it’s just, “Do you want salad?” and we both know what we’re talking about.

Start with whatever kind of lettuce you like. I prefer a mix of romaine and spinach and who cares what other mixed greens, as long as their color is rich and deep. You could add chopped broccoli, leftover roasted asparagus – whatever you like and have on hand.

Next, cheese, preferably Edam. If not, sharp cheddar. Just a bit grated over the top.

Then either chow mein noodles or croutons, if you like.

If we have pecans or walnuts on hand, those go in there, too. I like to toast them first but that’s not strictly necessary.

This part is what defines The Salad: The dressing.

First up, Honey Dijon Vinaigrette. It’s divine – simple and excellent.

Then you also have Wine and Cheese. I don’t know that it tastes all that much like either wine or cheese but whatever. It’s good.

There you have it. The Salad. Basically, it hinges on A) Good greens, whatever your personal preference, and B) Your dressing of choice.

Naturally, there are any number of variations on The Salad. Like a couple of weeks ago, Jeffrey made a Sunday night meal of A Big Salad, with the greens, Edam cheese, shredded chicken, pecans, fresh cooked bacon, and croutons, dressed with Wine and Cheese dressing. It was an excellent Sunday evening supper, particularly following the big dinner we’d had: honey baked ham, hash brown potato casserole, carrot soufflé, and seven layer salad.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

ooh! We do a very similar thing. Our favorite greens are the ones that come in a bag. I like toasted walnuts with some cubed feta OR crumbled gorgonzola. Also surprisingly yummy: dried cherries. I make a similar dressing except I'm too lazy to measure and I've never used the honey. Will try on the next round. I usually use minced garlic, esp. if I don't have shallots in the house and a pinch of Italian seasonings.

Mrs. G. said...

Yum. I am a salad junkie. I make one almost every night. This dressing sounds great. I have bookmarked you and will be back. Happy 2nd Blog!

Michelle said...

Yum! I love a good food blog!

Oh, we LOVE the prudhomme's blackened seasoning, but I will not be putting it on raw fish, because you're right, seared is not cooked. You are a brave, brave woman.