Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ginger Cookies

Remember that train wreck the last time I tried to make molasses ginger cookies?

Erin kindly posted a recipe at her blog after she read of my ill-fated ginger cookies.

I made these cookies last weekend and they are the BOMB. They are exactly the ginger molasses cookie I was looking for. The one of my dreams. The recipe is going in my permanent rotation of fall recipes.

Ginger Cookies
Recipe from First United Methodist Church, Monett, MO Cookbook (Mary K. Scott)

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cup flour
1 tablespoon ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream shortening. Add sugar gradually. Beat in the egg and molasses. Sift flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, and salt together and add to the other mixture. Cool 30 minutes to 1 hour in refrigerator. Roll into balls the size of walnuts and roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until puffed up and lightly browned. Let set a minute on sheet before removing cookies.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow! I feel famous! ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I just took a batch out of the oven to greet the hubby who will be home soon. Just call me June Cleaver! Ha!