Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nothing Like It

There's not much I love like gathering with family, especially when food is involved. This past Saturday, Jeffrey and I traveled to Jackson, Tennessee to celebrate my niece's second birthday.

We sat around on the deck, talking, laughing, and carryin' on. I took photos of random objects:

We were making homemade ice cream, see. That's why boxes of Morton salt were setting around on the deck.

I loves me some homemade ice cream. My sister in law mixed up homemade banana ice cream.

4 eggs, beaten
3 cups sugar
2 (14 ounce) cans condensed milk *
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 dash salt
6 ripe bananas, mashed. Very ripe. The riper the better.
2 1/2 quarts whole milk (or enough to make one gallon of liquid in total)

* What is condensed milk? Anyone? We used sweetened condensed milk. The final product was a bit soupy, but still mighty tasty.

Beat eggs and sugar together.

Add next four ingredients to the ice cream maker and add enough homogenized milk to make 1 gallon liquid. (Or after adding what you've stirred up, add enough whole milk so that it comes to the fill line in the ice cream maker canister.)

Freeze in maker or churn until frozen following manufacturer's instructions.


We enjoyed ours with birthday cake.



What's your favorite kind of homemade ice cream?

No comments: